Tuesday, April 13, 2021

 

Bobby Shook & His Mansfield Fire Dept. Museum:


   

             Getting out of my car in Mansfield, Ohio with all my equipment and gear in tow, I was greeted by an older man in his 70’s, Bobby Shook who kindly offered to help me with my things. As he took them in his hands, I had no idea that this man would be the funniest, oddest, and most wonderful character that I would ever meet in my life, or how much I would grow to adore him.

          Bobby had no idea of my gifts when he first met me but the one thing I kept hearing from a female spirit while he spoke to me about the building and showed myself and fellow Ghost Hunter, Brent around was: “You know, he’s mine,” in a very sarcastic tone with a snide laugh following the remark.

          I soon found out that the female voice had come from a fellow big teaser and deceased volunteer, Ethel who loved the Bingo Hall and Fire Museum and was apparently still there. According to Bobby, she was quite attached to the property and never wanted to leave it, even when she died.

           Ethel and Bobby loved to prank each other constantly and one always tried to one-up the other on a daily basis. But when she died she had asked in her Will to be put inside the museum on the top floor to the left of the building. She was denied this request due to health reasons, of course. But Bobby continuously tells me that he wished that she had been cremated and not buried, because he would have put her ashes on the top floor where she wanted. I can tell he misses her.

          On our three our tour of the museum with Bobby, he took Brent and I around the building and just like a big child having fun, he had us pull the old bell on the fire box from the old days (before modern technology of course) with glee and pure love of his job on his little round face. You could tell he loved his job now just like he did in the past.

          Bobby now retired, takes you around the Mansfield Fire Dept. Museum on his tour, showing you all the old fire trucks and equipment as he tells you past stories and experiences he had while working as a firefighter and on the fire truck in his very building as a driver (at the end of the truck near the back latter). In addition, you also get some of Bobby’s fun corky stories from the old days that are awesome. He is just so much fun.

          Bobby gives tours during the day and at night, he is kind enough to let Ghost Hunters like Brent and I in at night for some paranormal fun.

          We had several awesome experiences and afterwards I gave a Reading to Brent while Bobby listened. He has several ghost friends such as Ethel as mentioned before and a little girl, I have heard each time I go back to see him, and a past Fire Chief (who did interacted with us) and a deceased Curator who’s ashes are on display in the memorial room in the back of the building. He also haunts the museum and was Bobby’s friend. However, Bobby used to work with these men! Most of which either died on the job or were retired and died, and now roam the museum.  However, the most fascinating event was when Bobby interacted with them! This moment in particular special to me!

          I have been there three times now but the first night I was there with Brent, Bobby walked up his friend’s old fire-resistant- jacket and said, “Hey, Joe! Now come on Joe, move that old coat of yours for us!” He had a thrill of laughter in his voice as he remembered his good old friend and fire-buddy. Then he asked again, “Hey Buddy! Remember, I introduced you to your second wife! Do this for me! Move your coat!” And just like that, the coat reacted and began to sway back and forth at Bobby’s command. It was so amazing. Each time I go, Bobby does and it moves. However, Bobby says, (and this is true because I have experienced it) if someone who isn’t a believer is there the coat will NOT move.

          Experience it for yourself! Contact Bobby Shook at the Mansfield Fire Department Museum and get tour or book a Paranormal Ghost Hunt you won’t regret it. You will love him, his tour or ghost hunt, as well as his funny stories, and the spirits that surround him in the Fire Museum. No one can resist Bobby’s charms!

 

©Rosella C. Rowe

 

For More Information:

Mansfield Fire Department Museum

1265 W 4th St, Mansfield, OH 44906

Phone(419) 529-2573

1 comment:

  1. Obviously, Bobby Shook and the Mansfield Fire Department Museum are meant to be together.

    ReplyDelete